With world yoga day round the corner (June 21) here’s all you need to know about yoga.
Yoga is not just about making your body a jelly and then bending it around. It’s a lot more than what meets the eye. It is supposed to be the Indian way of attaining enlightenment. Yup, that’s what it’s all about. In simple terms, it is getting in touch with one’s inner most self.
There is a kind of yoga to suit each one’s necessity. So here are some kinds of yoga you can look into and indulge in the one that suits you the most.
1. Hatha Yoga: This is for those who love combining breathing techniques with poses (pranayamas and asanas)
2. Vinyasa: This mostly for one’s who look for something that’s fast and is for those who are looking to loose some weight, the most well know sequence is the Surya Namaskar/ Sun Salutation.
3. Iyengar Yoga: This for those who are looking to strengthen joints, or have neck or back problems.
4. Bikram Yoga: To be flexible is one the most amazing feelings ever! And this type of yoga ensures just that.
The kinds of yoga listen above are just a few; you could always look up at the one that suits you the most and pamper your body accordingly. That brings us to places where yoga can be practised. You can always just start doing in the comfort of your place by looking up videos on YouTube or other websites; but for the best results find a tutor in your area who can guide you step by step for this venture.
India, is known as the heart of yoga, so it doesn’t come as a surprise that it’s overflowing with places which could be your idea yoga retreat.
1. The Isha Yoga Centre in Velliangiri Foothills in Tamil Nadu. It believes in offering all four aspects of yoga- dhyana, karma, kriya and bhakti. Like each yoga retreat, this has its own little ambience and has become much like a cultural hub in recent times.
2. There are numerous Yoga retreats in the back waters of Kerala. Hatha yoga combined with Ayurveda is what is offered in the tranquil lagoons of this state.
Goa, is a land that offers something for every single person who visits it. For the yoga lovers who are looking to tune into themselves, the Ashiyana Yoga Retreat is right at its heels to do the same.
Image Credits: Ashiyana Yoga Retreat
3. The Art of Living Ashram in Bangalore, is one of the most well known retreats for yoga. Calm, serene and away from the clacker of the city, this place gets you in touch with your inner most self at one glance. The centre has special programs for people of all ages and one can choose the course of their preference. The organization also conducts classes at various venues all over the world.
Image Credits: Vishalakshi Mandap, Bangalore
4. Along the banks of Ganga in the lush foothills of the great Himalayas is the Parmarth Niketan, in Uttarakhand. Known to be one of the largest ashrams, it engulfs you with greenery and tranquillity. It is known to offer courses in yoga, meditation, ayurvedic sciences, stress management, acupuncture, and Reiki.
Image Credits: “Parmarth2” by Parmarth Niketan Ashram – Own work.
These are just a few of the places where you could go, but if it’s too far then don’t fret. On this Yoga Day the entire world comes together to practise yoga, so take some time off; go to the nearest ground, or even your terrace or your garden, get a mat out and just breathe. Life will start look way better if see through the eyes of yoga.
Featured Image: The Yoga Mentor, Tumblr